Note: You can now find the full list of the top newspapers on Facebook here (including data from the past 9 months).
March was an impressive month of growth for newspaper Facebook pages, with big papers and medium-sized papers seeing big increases in the number of likes.
Hello Washington Post and Wall Street Journal! Two of our country’s biggest papers saw their biggest jump in number of likes ever during the past month. The Post increased by 34.3% or 43,505 likes. The Journal increased by 18.8% or 38,262 likes.
The Lexington Herald-Leader more than doubled its likes – from 1,533 to 3,218.
A total of seven papers increased their like count by more than 5,000.
The Honolulu Star-Advertiser jumped 73 percent, from 6,590 to 11,421 likes.
The Arizona Republic jumped 31.1%.
Here’s the Top 10 newspapers on Facebook at the beginning of April 2011.
- New York Times – 1,208,452
- Wall Street Journal – 241,803
- Washington Post – 170,475
- Denver Post – 52,375
- Los Angeles Times- 49,590
- USA Today – 49,344
- Boston Globe – 41,356
- Chicago Tribune- 29,482
- Arizona Republic – 28,885
- El Paso Times – 27,731
Here are the biggest gainers during the month of March by percentage of fans:
- Lexington Herald-Leader - 109.9%
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser - 73.3%
- Washington Post - 34.3%
- Salt Lake Tribune - 32.5%
- Arizona Republic - 31.1%
- Los Angeles Times - 27.8%
- Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era - 27.8%
- Arizona Daily Star - 20.8%
- Wall Street Journal - 18.8%
- State (Columbia, S.C.) - 18.2%
Here are the biggest gainers during the month of March by number of fans:
- New York Times - 63,746
- Washington Post - 43,505
- Wall Street Journal - 38,262
- Los Angeles Times - 10,798
- Arizona Republic - 6,855
- Denver Post - 5,877
- USA Today - 5,009
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser - 4,831
- Boston Globe - 2,541
- New York Post - 2,220
See all nine months of data of newspapers on Facebook. Want your daily newspaper added to the list? Add a link to the Facebook page in the comments area below.